In addition to in-person sessions in my Corte Madera and Novato offices, I offer Online Counseling via secure a video conference service, or by phone, to clients located anywhere in the state of California.
You can learn all about my Online Counseling practice on this page. If you have additional questions, or would like to schedule a FREE introductory 20-minute online or phone session, visit the Contact Me page and fill out the form or call me directly at 415-328-6423.
What is Online Counseling?
Online Counseling is the practice of psychotherapy offered via a secure video conferencing system such as Zoom, which I use.
Where a video-based session is not possible, though not as effective, a voice-only session over the phone can be substituted (my rates are the same either way).
Why do clients chose Online Counseling?
There are many good reasons why more and more of my clients chose Online Counseling:
- In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, I currently offer a discounted rate for online counseling (effectvie at least until July 15′
- To supplement in-person therapy sessions
- Cannot find a therapist you like in your local area
- You have a very busy schedule and Online Counseling offer more scheduling flexibility
- You don’t have to arrange for child care
- A physical or other disability makes it difficult or impossible to leave your home
- Sessions can be arranged with more than two parties involved, such as in Family Therapy where people are spread out geographically (the primary client must be a California resident however)
- It’s just so convenient to receive therapy from the comfort of your home or other private location
What are your fees for Online Counseling?
See the My Fees page for details on my Fees.
Do you accept insurance for Online Counseling?
Yes, depending on your specific plan, your insurance may cover a percentage of my fees. See my Insurance page for full details and recent changes put into effect in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Do you provide Online Counseling outside of California?
Therapists are licensed on a state-by-state basis, and as I am licensed in California, my primary client must reside in the of California.
Do you offer Online Counseling to families, teens and children?
I offer online counseling for teens (age 12 and up) and with families (parents with teens and/or children). I only work with children alone via in-person sessions at this time.
Is Online Counseling always as effective as in-person therapy?
Online therapy alone can be effective in many situations. In some cases it may be best to combine online with in-person sessions. The applicability of online therapy to your specific situation is something we can discuss in a FREE 20-minute introductory online session of phone call.
How does Online Counseling work?
I use the popular Zoom video conferencing software for my online sessions which is free, easy to use and secure.
What are the requirements for using Zoom video conferencing?
All you need is the following:
- A fast, reliable Internet connection. Generally, if you can stream videos (e.g. YouTube or Netflix) on your computer, your connection is probably good enough for use with Zoom.
- A Windows PC or Mac computer equipped with a camera, a microphone and the Zoom desktop software installed.
- If you are in a noisy environment, a headphone or earbuds with a built-in microphone will help with the audio quality.
- You may also use a mobile phone or tablet (Apple or Android) but generally the smaller screen and lower audio quality makes this method less effective than a full-size PC or laptop computer.
I don’t have Zoom installed on my computer already, how do I get started?
Zoom is popular, free, easy to install, and you don’t need to create an account to join a video session with me. Click on the link below to install Zoom on your Windows PC or Mac computer:
To install Zoom on your mobile device, install the Zoom app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for Android devices.
How do I learn more about Zoom video conferencing?
Visit the Zoom FAQ pages to learn more.
What if I don’t have an internet connection or the quality does not support video conferencing?
I also offer counseling by phone as well which also serves as a backup if your internet connection stops working.
Is there a way I can test my computer and Internet connection to see if it will work for online counseling with Zoom?
Yes, go to my Client Login page and click on the Zoom Test Meeting button to test your Zoom software and connection to the Internet.